Building your website? Here are 7 free tools that will help
If you’re reading this, you’re probably new to the entire domain and web hosting space. Building a website might give you cold feet, especially if it is your first website. But fear not, as we, your ‘Dost Who Can Host’ will help you out at every stage.
We want to empower you with the right tools that will help you get started with your website. Some of the tools that we are going to share are also used extensively by our technical support team. Let’s take a look at the list below.
- Port 43 Whois: Whois is a database where all customer information associated with a domain name is stored. As per ICANN policies, customer details need to be made public via the Whois database. Port 43 Whois allows you to access information such as domain registrar, expiry date, nameservers, etc about your domain name. Note: You can choose to mask these details with an add-on called Privacy Protect
- intoDNS: If you want to get information about your domain DNS records such as CNAME, MX, NS etc, then you will find intoDNS very useful
- Gtmetrix, Pingdom Tools, and Google PageSpeed Tools: These tools provide insights on how your website loads and gives you recommendations to optimize your website. While some of these changes are easy and can be done by you, others are more advanced and will require the expertise of a developer. Be careful while getting these changes done as they may impact other aspects of your website.
- MXToolBox: This multipurpose website helps in identifying issues such as server IP or domain blacklisting, analyses mail practices and also does DNS lookup for domains.
- Check SPF and DKIM keys: SPF and DKIM are email signatures that are built against phishing, spoofing etc. When you send an email, the recipient’s spam filter will verify with your domain to see if those signatures are not faked. This website will help you to verify if your SPF and DKIM signatures are set up correctly.
- SSL Checker: Installing SSL on your website takes a few careful steps before it is correctly implemented. But how do you know if the SSL certificate is correctly installed? Simple, you check your domain name using the SSL Checker tool and it verifies if the SSL certificate is correctly installed and also shares additional information about the certificate.
- What’s My DNS: When you update any DNS records of your domain name, it takes anything between 2 to 72 hours for these changes to update across the internet. Although we cannot influence the process, we can definitely help you check the current status of the DNS Propagation by using this tool. What’s My DNS tool will perform a DNS lookup on your domain name’s current IP address and DNS record information against multiple name servers situated in various parts of the globe, thus giving you a fair idea about the progress of the propagation.
That brings us to the end of the list. We hope these tools come handy while you are building your website. If you have any questions then feel free to share them in the comments section below or simply connect with our support team for further assistance.