Bluehost India Web Hosting Help
VPS or Dedicated - How To Restore Backups
This article will explain how to restore a backup on a VPS or Dedicated server.
Click on any of the sections to jump to that point in the guide.
- The password for the root user so that you can login to WHM.
- The username of the account on the server that you want to restore.
- An idea of the date you want to restore to.
NOTE: Some older systems may still be running the “Legacy Backup System”. This will be discontinued in the near future; if this was used for your backups, please contact support, and we'd be happy to help get your backups changed over to the current system.
When logging into WHM, you may see a page titled Feature Showcase. If so click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page. Once logged in, you can locate Backup Tools.
- Type "Backup" into the search box in the top left-hand corner of the control panel.
- In the results click "Backup Restoration".
- There are two ways you can reach the backup needed:
- The Restore by Account tab lets you select an account and see the available backups for it.
- The Restore by Date tab lets you choose a date, and you can see what accounts have backups from that point.
- In most cases, Restore by Account will be the likely choice. When selecting an account, the calendar on the right will display the available backups for it. You can scroll back up to find older items. Valid dates will highlight in blue when you mouse over them.
- In the example below, for instance, there is a valid backup for the 'tempeproxy' account from August 30.
- Once selected, the options on the right allow you to limit the scope of the restore if you do not want to restore the entire account (e.g. skipping subdomains, mail configuration, and/or MySQL Databases).
- When you have chosen a backup, the Add Account to Queue button will become active, and you can click it. The selected backup will then appear in the Restoration Queue at the bottom of the screen.
- You can repeat the process if you have multiple accounts that you want to restore.
- Once all necessary backups have been added to the queue, click the Restore button.
Note: This process may take some time. Depending on the size of the account, possibly several hours.When the backup is finished, the status will update to Completed, and you will have the option to view the restore log or remove the task from the restoration queue.
Some common issues you may experience when trying to restore a site include:
Lack of Space
The system typically requires about 3x the size of a backup in the available room, for working space, etc. So, if the backup is 10 GB in size, around 30 GB of room on the drive would be needed, for it to be restored on the server.
If you don’t have enough space, you can either clear other content off of the server, to make room, or download the backup to your computer. Once there, you can extract the backup there, and restore the relevant components manually, using FTP, phpMyAdmin, etc.
Recommended Help Content
VPS and Dedicated Hosting: Restore or Transfer cPanel
If you need to transfer or restore a cPanel account for your VPS or Dedicated server, there is a tool within the WHM panel to perform these tasks. This article is about transferring or restoring from another server or restoring after a re-image.
Enable Non Legacy Backup on Dedicated or VPS Servers
This article will explain how to configure your dedicated or VPS server to use the new (non legacy) backup system.
How To Backup & Restore WordPress Using WordPress Tools
This article will explain how to use WordPress Tools to backup or restore your WordPress site
Related Help Content
Unable To Open Backup on Dedicated or VPS
How to fix inaccessible backups on Dedicated or VPS servers due to backup size.
Managing Backups with Site Backup Pro
How to manage your backups using Site Backup and Restore
Bluehost India Account Backup Policy
What is the Bluehost India backup policy? What kinds of backups are available?
Automatic Backup Frequency
How often do you backup my site? When do automated backups take place?
Backup and Restore with Site Backup Pro
How to restore individual files or folders with the Site Backup & Restore tool
Check Backup Dates Using SSH on Dedi/VPS
This article will explain how to check the dates of your backups using SSH.
Restore MySQL databases using the Site Backup & Restore tool
How to restore MySQL databases using the Site Backup & Restore tool
Backup Restore from previous host to Bluehost India
How do I restore my old hosting provider backup onto Bluehost India?