Bluehost India Web Hosting Help
Accessing the Mail Folder in the Control Panel
All email boxes and messages are stored as files in folders on your account. There aren't a lot of reasons to access your mail folders directly, but it is possible.
Some email applications use the timestamp of the email files themselves to sort emails. Backing up or restoring email improperly can change the timestamps of those files making the dates and times of emails inaccurate. If the folder or its contents are moved improperly, or if the file ownership or permissions aren't correct, mail can stop working completely. For this reason, we do not recommend changing anything in your mail folders —enter at your own risk!
Depending on what you're trying to do, often times your goal can be accomplished without accessing the mail folder directly, which can be a lot better. Here are a few resources that explain the most common reasons for accessing the mail folder directly, without doing so.
- Wondering what kind of mail directory structure we use? Bluehost India uses the maildir format.
- Considering an email application to access your mail? You can use any app or program that's IMAP or POP3 compatible.
- Looking for an easy way to mass-delete emails? Check out How to Delete a Mass Amount in Email Account.
- Just want to read, write, and reply to emails? Check out Email Application Setup.
- Want to backup or restore emails? Check out Restoring Email Messages using the Site Backup Pro.
Access Your Mail Folders
Follow the steps below to access your mail files and folders through your control panel:
- Log into your Bluehost India control panel.
- Scroll down to the Files section and click File Manager.
- On the left side, navigate to the Home directory (one step up from public_html).
- From the list of files to the right, open the Mail folder.
- Find the folder named after the domain of the email account you're looking for and open it.
- Inside, you'll find a folder for each email account user on the domain. Open the folder for the user of the email account. For example, if looking for the firstname.lastname@example.org email account, you'd open the folder for example.com to find folders for the webmaster and the users for any other email accounts on that domain.
- Here you'll find the new, cur, temp, .Trash, and .Sent folders for this particular email account. These are NOT folders for user-created email accounts; they're actually folders for the system email account that uses the cPanel username.
Recommended Help Content
I am having problems accessing your Control Panel.
If you are receiving an error that the page could not be displayed when trying to log into the control panel. It is most likely due to the fact that your firewall is blocking the port that the control
How To Login To Control Panel - cPanel & Billing Panel
This article will explain how to log in to your Account Control Panel
Restoring Email Messages using the Site Backup Pro
How to restore Email Messages the Site Backup Pro tool
Related Help Content
How To Access cPanel - What You Need / Where To Find cPanel
How do I Access My Account Control Panel?
Email Application Setup - Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Mail combines the ease of use of Outlook Express, with the speed of Windows Live. This tutorial will show you how to setup your email account in Windows Live Mail.
Enable Non Legacy Backup on Dedicated or VPS Servers
This article will explain how to configure your dedicated or VPS server to use the new (non legacy) backup system.
Accessing your Spam Folder
General Instructions on how to use the spam folder with webmail
How To Setup Email On Windows 10 Mail
This article will explain how to setup an email account in the Windows 10 mail application.
How to setup e-mail in Eudora Pro
How to Configure Eudora Pro to Access Email?
How To Backup & Restore WordPress Using WordPress Tools
This article will explain how to use WordPress Tools to backup or restore your WordPress site
How To Check Email - Webmail & Email Applications
So, you want to access your email, eh? You're going to need an email client for that. But what is an email client? Email clients come in two varieties: webmail and email applications.