Bluehost India Web Hosting Help
Whenever there is a problem accessing your website, your visitors will receive an error message. Each message has its own page and code specific to the problem encountered. Although the web server automatically provides basic error pages, with the Error Pages tool in the cPanel, you can create custom error pages to display when a user enters a wrong URL, an outdated URL or when the user is not authorized to access a specific directory of your web space.
- Customizing Your Error Pages
- Common Problems
- How Can I Revert Back to the Default Error Pages?
- Log in to your Bluehost India cPanel account.
- In the cPanel scroll to the Advanced menu, click on the Error pages icon; this will take you to the Error pages menu.
- Below "Step 1," select the domain for the customize error pages.
- Below "Step 2," click on the error page number (400, 401, 403, 404, 500) or the error page name (Bad request, Authorization required, etc.) you would like to customize. (There are many error pages which may be defined. Click on the "Show All HTTP Error Status Codes" tab to view all error pages.)
- When the selected Error Page loads, the following six tags are available:
- Referring URL - Displays the URL of the website the visitor was previously viewing.
Visitor's IP Address - Displays the IP address of the visitor viewing the error page.
Requested URL - Displays the intended URL the visitor is trying to view.
Server name - Displays the website's server name.
Visitor's browser - Displays the visitor's browser type such as IE, FireFox, etc.
Redirect Status Code - Displays the type of code in the 300-307 range.
- After you save your error page:
- Click the Go Back button to return to the Error pages menu to edit a different Error Page or
- Click the Home icon in the upper left hand corner to return to the cPanel main menu.
- If you are still seeing the Bluehost India default error pages, try refreshing your browser (ctrl + F5).
- If you still see the Bluehost India default pages, add the following code to your
.htaccessfile in the
- You can even use existing pages as the resulting page. For instance, if you don't want any visitors seeing 404 errors on your site, you can make your home page the result like so:
- If Internet Explorer is not displaying the custom error page, it is likely because the error page must be larger than 1 kilobyte.
ErrorDocument error-number /Your-Error-file.htmlwhere error-number is the error code used by apache. For example, to use the file "notfound.html" as a 404 error page:
ErrorDocument 404 /notfound.html
Customizing Your Error Pages
Note: You do not have to use any of the above tags. They are available to you based on your own personal preferences and needs specific to your web site.
You can place any html code or text in the error page specific to your own personal preferences and needs specific to your web site.
When you save your page, the file name will default to the error number you selected with the addition of a .shtml extension. For example, if you chose 400, your file would appear as "400.shtml." You can modify this name to the code you want. Only modify this to an error that you know will be shown on your web site.
Tip: You can find what error codes are being shown to your visitors by viewing any of the available website statistical analysis programs built in to cPanel such as Awstats, Webalizer, etc.
ErrorDocument 403 /403.shtml
ErrorDocument 404 /404.shtml
ErrorDocument 500 /500.shtml
ErrorDocument 404 /index.html
Recommended Help Content
Manually editing your error pages
How to customize your html or php error pages.
Protect Specific Pages With SSL
This article will show a way to protect specific pages of your website with SSL. This may have benefits for SEO and can be used on pages that contain forms, shopping carts or any other page where users might enter sensitive information.
Error Code 500 on Dedicated and VPS Servers
This article will explain some common causes for 500 errors on Dedicated or V.P.S servers.
Related Help Content
Email Error Messages - What Do They Mean?
Look for the error message that most closely matches the one you received.
What Is A 500 Internal Server Error? How To Fix 500 Internal Server Error
Website shows a server 500 error, what can I do to fix it?
WordPress - Blank White Pages
My install of WordPress has a white screen, what should I do to fix it?
How does Cobiro Work?
As an official Google Premier Partner, Cobiro can build and manage customized Google Ads campaigns based on your business goals using AI to optimize your campaign. This article describes how Cobiro works.
PHP pages do not display
If suddenly when you go to your page, you get nothing on the page. You can still get HTML to display, just not PHP. To serve HTML pages to browsers, we don't associate the Apache processes with your 2
How To Add Handlers To Change PHP Version - PHP Version Setup
This article will explain how to add a PHP handler to your .htaccess files. This is useful if you want to customize the version of PHP that runs your PHP files.
Will You Place Ads on My Site?
This article explains Bluehost India's ad policy.
MySQL Error Messages
This article will show a few MySQL errors along with explanations as to why they might be occurring.