Bluehost India Web Hosting Help
Password Protect a folder on your website
This article explains how to add password protection to a folder on your website
What You Need
You will need the following items to complete this walkthrough.
- The username and password to your Bluehost India account.
- The path and name of the folder you want to protect with a password.
Access The Password Protect Directories Tool
- Log in to your Bluehost India cPanel account.
- Make sure you are on the cPanel tab at the top of your account.
- Scroll down to the Security group of icons and click on Directory Password.
Protecting a Directory
Navigate the folder structure and select the directory you want.
NOTE: To open a folder and see its contents click the folder. To select a folder for password protection click on the folder name.
- Choose the Password protect this directory option.
- Enter the name for the directory, this will appear whenever someone access the directory.
- Click Save.
Adding A User
- On the Password Directories page, scroll down and under Create user, add a username in the the username box.
- In the password boxes type the password you would like the user to have.
- Click the Add or Modify The Authorized User button.
The folder you selected will now require a username and password to gain access. You can use the username and password you created to gain access.
Recommended Help Content
Password Protected Folder Gives Continual Prompts
What should I do if I am having problems with multiple password prompts on my password protected directory?
Password Protect a File
How do I Password Protect a single file on my website?
How to Reset Your Login Password
How do I change my Control Panel password?
Related Help Content
Right-Click Image Protection
How can I protect the images on my website?
How To Reset MySQL Database User & Password
This article will explain how to change the password for a database in the event that the original password is lost.
This article explains the different password types for your bluehost_in account.
Setting a Password for the Main MySQL User
I am prompted to set a new MySQL password. What does this mean and how do I change it?
I need to protect the /images folder to not show images when people type in the correct URL like www.mydomain.com/images/ to protect from prying eyes.
Resetting the Password for an Email Account
Instructions for restting your Email Account's Password through cPanel or Webmail
Change a MySQL Users Password
This article will explain how to change or reset the password for a MySQL user.
Protect Specific Pages With SSL
This article will show a way to protect specific pages of your website with SSL. This may have benefits for SEO and can be used on pages that contain forms, shopping carts or any other page where users might enter sensitive information.